Writing Center Location
The Writing Center is located in the back of the library.
The Writing Center is closed for chapel from 11:00am-12:00pm Tuesday-Thursday, and is closed for lunch from 12:00-1:00pm everyday.
Closed Saturday and Sunday
LABI College, a Pentecostal community of higher learning, equips men and women to serve in the church and world. Aided by the understanding that writing is a key factor in every course at LABI, the Writing Center exists as a free, safe, and collaborative space for these students to grow as writers and succeed in classes. The Writing Center aids in the formation of logical, analytical, compassionate, and Spirit-filled agents of God, who are able to communicate clearly and effectively through impassioned and skillful writing.
Strong writing skills aid students throughout college, life, and ministry. The Writing Center believes in shaping a good writer by providing education of the necessary skills to write one’s own paper. Writing a successful paper requires the correct tools, foundational knowledge, and commitment to a cycle process of pre-writing, writing, and rewriting. The Writing Center cares not only about what is written, but how it is written, and includes attention to the writer, as well as to the reader.
- ● Teach students to effectuate successful writing formats (Turabian, SBL, etc.)
- ● Cultivate skills for developing successful use and flow of each section of a paper (thesis, body, conclusion).
- ● Provide students with proper skills and online and off-line tools for each paper type (research, exegesis, etc.)
- ● Embolden students to regard writing as necessary for the marketplace and ministry.
- ● Encourage and affirm each student growing in personal confidence as a writer.
● Writing Appointments- Students may schedule a 30-minute or 1-hour appointment with a trained tutor Monday through Friday, at least 48-hours in advance.
● Workshops- The Writing Center offers multiple hour-long writing workshops on specific writing topics throughout each semester.
● Placement Testing- All incoming students and specifically chosen existing students are required to visit The Writing Center for best English class placement. LABI uses Compass testing, which measures reading and writing comprehension, basic grammar and English skills, as well as critical thinking skills.