Since 1926, LABI-CA has equipped young men and women for leadership in the Latino churches by providing biblical, theological, and ministerial training. Reflecting the needs of a multicultural population, today instruction is offered in both English and Spanish, thus providing a setting conducive to the development of an effective multicultural ministry. The Institute’s curriculum focuses on the bilingual and bicultural preparation of men and women who have a calling from God to enter into either full-time ministry, church leadership, or pursue higher education.
Latin American Bible Institute holds the distinction of being one of the oldest Hispanic educational institutions in the United States. On October 1, 1926, Miss Alice E. Luce, a former Anglican missionary, joined with Ralph and Richard Williams and founded Latin American Bible Institute in San Diego, California, in conjunction with (then) Glad Tidings Bible Institute. Her vision and determination for a Hispanic Bible school has remained an underlying factor in the success of LABI-CA.Experiencing a time of growth, the institute moved in 1935 from San Diego to nearby La Mesa, California, and then again in 1941 to Los Angeles.As more students enrolled for ministerial training, overcrowded conditions made it imperative to find larger facilities. Land was purchased in La Puente, California, site of the present facilities, and by 1950 the school graduated its first class here.
We are a Biblically based Pentecostal community of higher learning, equipping Christian men and women for service in the church and world.
To be a 21st Century Pentecostal school where students matter, ministry is emphasized, the Spirit is emphasized, teachers care, gifts are developed, theory and hands on meet, curriculum is delivered through non-traditional methods, and where classes are accessible through virtual classroom, online resources, and extensions.
● Students will develop a biblical and theological foundation from a Pentecostal perspective.
- ● Students will gain critical thinking and effective communication skills that will enable them to articulate the Christian faith in the church, academy, and society.
- ● Students will experience biblical spiritual formation practices that will form their character in Christ and assist them in discovering their call for the ministry.
- ● Students will learn a biblically-based servant style of leadership and develop competency in ministry skills that will prepare them for credentials with the Assemblies of God.
- ● Pursuing truth and a biblical foundation through academic learning.
- ● Experiencing servant leadership through ministerial and professional opportunities that develop gifts for service.
- ● Commitment to cultural integrity and embracing diverse ethnicities.
- ● Developing Christ-like identity, habits, gifts, and cultivating a love for others.
STATEMENT OF FAITH
Latin American Bible Institute accepts without reservation the Statement of Fundamental Truths of the General Council of the Assemblies of God. This statement of faith is as follows:
- ● …the Bible is the inspired and only infallible and authoritative written Word of God.
- ● ..there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost.
- ● …in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death, in His bodily resurrection and His ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His personal future return to this earth in power and glory to rule a thousand years.
- ● …in the blessed hope, the rapture of the Church at Christ’s coming.
- ● …the only means of being cleansed from sin is through repentance and faith in the precious blood of Christ.
- ● …regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for personal salvation.
- ● …in water baptism by immersion.
- ● …the redemptive work of Christ on the cross provides in healing of the human body in answer to believing prayer.
- ● …the baptism in the Holy Spirit, according to Acts 2:4, is given to believer who ask for it.
- ● …in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a holy life.
- ● ..in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, the one to everlasting life and the other to everlasting damnation.
ENDORSEMENT AND ACCREDITATION
Latin American Bible Institute of California is endorsed by the Alliance of Christian Higher Education of the General Council of the Assemblies of God, Springfield, Missouri and the Southern Pacific District of the Assemblies of God.
Latin American Bible Institute of California holds applicant status with the Association for Biblical Higher Education, 5850 T. G. Lee Blvd., Ste. 130, Orlando, FL 32822; 407.207.0808. Applicant status is a pre-membership status granted to those institutions that meet the ABHE Conditions of Eligibility and that possess such qualities as may provide a basis for achieving candidate status within four years.